BY TJ GARCIA
February 1 is considered National Signing Day.
But it is not the only day high school athletes can sign national letters of intent. February first is simply the first day of the signing period that football and other athletes can sign on with colleges and universities.
The RGV had a rash of commitments on February 1, but since then there’s been several other athletes that have inked to play football and other sports at colleges and universities.
D1 scholarships of any size are hard to come by. But several RGV athletes have signed with smaller but reputable programs and schools. We congratulate them. Here’s a quick list of some notables in the last month.
- Marco Aguinaga, QB, Edcouch-Elsa Baker University, Baldwin City, KS
- Jaime Gonzalez, RB, Bro. Hanna Incarnate Word University, San Antonio, TX
- Juan Martinez, OL, Donna North Hardin-Simons University, Abilene, TX
- Joseph Moreno, WR, La Joya High Texas Lutheran University, Seguin, TX
- Judy Alvarez, McAllen High Huston-Tillotson, Austin, TX
- Alexis Gutierrez, McAllen High Huston-Tillotson, Austin, TX
- Raul Casiano, Brownsville Rivera Bethel University, McKenzie, TN
- Jonathan Herrera, Bro. Rivera Bethel University, McKenzie, TN
- Jennifer Lopez, Brownsville Rivera Bethel University, McKenzie, TN
- Victoria Garcia, Brownsville Hanna UH-Victoria, Victoria, TX
- Jacob Serna, Lyford Millsaps College, Jackson, MS
- Claire Castaneda, Los Fresnos UTRGV, Edinburg, TX
- Damien Moya, La Joya High Morton College, Cicero, IL
- Ryan Rodriguez, Edinburg Vela Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, CC, TX
- Jonathan Reyes, Mercedes High School, UTRGV
- Eliseo Rodriguez, La Joya Palmview, UT-Arlington